Planting TimesIdeal planting times vary greatly from region to region and year to year. Local weather conditions for planting in your area and here at our farm for harvesting grass are impossible to predict. Our regional Planting and Shipping Map has general information about the usual planting and shipping times to your area. Daily we review weather conditions and make our best judgments when to harvest and ship each order.
Plug SizeAmazoy zoysia is harvested in pieces of sod measuring approximately 10" x 15". Each piece of sod is scored into 150 plugs, each 1 inch square, on the soil side. Finish the separation into plugs using sharp garden shears. The best method for completing the separation into plugs is to lightly dampen the soil and then cut a strip of grass about 1" wide and then cut across into 1-inch plugs.
Planting New PlugsEasy Planting Instructions are included in every order shipped.
Here is a brief summary of the instructions:
- Mow your existing lawn as low as possible (if applicable).
- Be sure the ground is workable (is it moist enough for planting?).
- Determine your starting point and insert the Step on Plugger or Amazoy Power Auger in the ground to remove the established grass and make a hole for your zoysia plug.
- Put the zoysia plug in the hole and fill in around the edges with soil (see photo).
- Lightly tamp the plug into the ground with the heel of your foot or hand.
- Water lightly.
Here's a short video on planting Amazoy plugs:
(Click the play button in the preview above to start the video)
View our Order & Price Information now!
Time to Fill InIf planted one plug per square foot (the minimum we recommend), Amazoy zoysia can take two to three growing seasons to completely fill in, depending upon your climate. You may reduce the time it takes for zoysia to fill in by planting the plugs closer together. If plugs are planted every 6", the number of plugs needed would be 2 plugs per square foot of coverage desired, reducing the time to fill in by approximately 1/2. Use our convenient Plug Calculator to help determine how many plugs to order.
See our Planting Grid Diagrams for more details.
It is best to plant your plugs the same day they are received. However, if you are unable to plant your plugs upon receipt, you have about two weeks to get them into your soil assuming that you follow these instructions on maintaining your plugs.
- Take the plugs out of the box and their plastic packaging.
- Lay the plugs on a flat surface with the grass side facing up.
- Keep your plugs in an area that does not get direct sunlight.
- Keep your plugs lightly misted with water.
Fertilizing New Plugs
If you decide to fertilize your new plugs do NOT use ordinary, granular fertilizers. They can burn or cause serious damage. You must use a water-soluble fertilizer, such as our own Nutri-20, which has been specially formulated for use on zoysia.
In the important starting period, applications of Nutri-20 can do wonders. The poorer your soil, the better the results you will see with this balanced fertilizer. Apply Nutri-20 immediately after planting and every two weeks thereafter during the growing season.
Order enough for shrubs, flowers, fruits and vegetables; you'll love what it does for them too.
Watering Newly Planted Plugs
Our Moisture Meter helps to determine watering needs. Our Automatic Water Shut-Off helps to assure plugs receive the proper amount of water.